Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Anti-climatic

That word sums it up.
This morning, it was all about getting them to Detroit on time. For those of you who aren't familiar with Michigan geography, Detroit is on the OTHER side of Michigan. We live in Grand Rapids, and have our cottage at Gun Lake. Detroit is about 2 1/2 hours' drive from our locale.
We drove down to Gun Lake, where Wilda was situated, last night. This morning, we got up. Its been a long time since I've actually driven to Detroit Metro Airport, so I was a bit nervous about what the drive would be like. Everyone says its much easier to drive to Detroit Metro than Chicago OHare. Thats not saying much, because getting to Chicago OHare, from west Michigan, is a royal pain in the neck because you have to drive AROUND Lake Michigan and thru Chicago to get there. Anyway. We left the cottage at 7:35. Just as we were about to merge onto US131, Wilda remembered that she'd forgotten the pillow Sara made for her, so I turned around and got it. At 8:00 we were on US 131. To make a long drive short, we got to the airport 3 1/2 hours early. I was worried there would be construction or traffic or long lines. There were none of those things. The line at check-in was maybe fifteen minutes. After their luggage was checked in and their boarding passes were double checked, we sat around for about ten minutes, and then figured we might as well get on with things, so they went through security, and I waved goodbye, and then, that was it. I was standing in Detroit Airport, with a day off work, 3 hours away from home. (Oh, in the excitement of getting everything out of the car, Wilda forgot the pillow Sara made for her a second time--she left it in my car. I offered to go back and get it for her, but she said I'd better not. She knows she'll see it again if its in my car, if she looses it in China, she won't see it again...)
I decided to do some shopping. I wasn't ready to face a long drive home to an empty house. I went to the Ikea in Canton to buy storage containers and a few other little things, but that didn't take long. Then I decided, since I was on the east side of the state, I might as well go up to Birch Run and check out the outlet stores, and maybe do my Christmas shopping before all hell breaks loose in the malls. I didn't realize how far Birch Run is from Detroit-- but I got there. The outlet stores were a disappointment. I bought some underwear at the Jockey outlet. I don't suppose you needed to know that. I was expecting grand sales and major discounts, but there weren't any spectacular deals to be found. I almost bought some jeans, but then I remembered that I'd been able to find perfectly good, comfortable jeans for $10 at WalMart, so why spend $25 on them at the outlet? Oh, I bought thank-you notes for $4. I promised Suzanne I would write the thank-you notes for the shower gifts before she got back, and she used up all the thank-you notes after the baby shower her friends at work threw for her. (And she's mad at herself--she was going to hand them out on her last day at work, but on Tuesday she left the houe without them, so they are still sitting on the coffee table)
I then went to Bronner's in Frankenmuth--Bronners is a gargantuan Christmas store that is open year round. I was feeling kind of depressed, which seemed very strange to me, but its hard to be depressed in Bronners. I bought some Christmas ornaments and had them put Frances' name on them. That cheered me up a bit. This is going to be the first Christmas in a long time, where we won't have to grit our teeth and wear masks at church while they sing "What Child is This?" and "Away in a Manger" and while we listen to all those scripture verses about the barren wombs rejoicing and babies, babies, babies.
So I am home, and am not sure what to do with myself. There are no more forms to fill out, no more meetings with social workers, no documents to wait for... its all done... I have to teach at GV tomorrow, and then Friday I am off, and then there's the weekend, and its a strange feeling. It dawned on me, that for the last fourteen years, since I started going out with Suzanne, whenever we've been apart, she's always been waiting for me. But now I am waiting for her, and I am so off her radar. I'm not used to it. Whenever I am out in the evenings, I always have, in the back of my mind, that Suzanne is home (or wherever) waiting for me. But today, I could fall into Lake Michigan tonight, and days would go by before she even thought to worry about me. She's on an airplane, flying to another hemisphere. Its a strange feeling.
As I watched Suzanne walk through security in Detroit today, I felt like this was a momentous moment--I liken it to walking down the aisle at our wedding. A grand, momentous change has taken place. Life will never be the same. But this time there was no organ music, no holy water (or not for a while yet), no guests, no photographer... its an odd thing.
Anyway. I have PLENTY to do before Suzanne gets here with a baby.

1 comment:

Alyson & Ford said...

Wonderful post, with all the feelings leading up to the trip to China. Since DH and I traveled together, we were in awe as we finally went through security. It was a momentous point in our lives too. I sometimes look at our daughter now and still think I am in a dream!

Alyson
LID 01/27/06
Mommy to Alyzabeth for Six Weeks!g