Saturday, October 18, 2008

Grand Haven

Today was a beautiful crisp fall day in west Michigan. This is my favorite time of year. The leaves are beginning to change color (next weekend will be gorgeous in terms of color) and the weather is crisp, and its just a wonderful time to be outside. A colleague of Suzanne's got married today in Grand Haven, so we headed out there and had some time to walk down the pier out to the lighthouse, before we had to go to the wedding. We also met up with Michael and Leslie, who I knew many years ago when I was a child, back in the early 1980's. Our families went to the same church, and my parents were in a small-group Bible study with Leslie's parents, and she would usually get stuck babysitting for me. I remember watching Leslie make her wedding dress, and I remember going to her wedding in 1983 when I was eight. Now, 25 years later, her husband Michael and I teach at the same university, and since I moved back to west Michigan in 1994, it has always been in the back of my mind to look them up, but I never did, until I started teaching at GV in 2005. Then, I shot Michael an email, and he responded, but it took these three years before we managed to seek each other out. (Michael teaches Biology, I teach English, we don't cross paths) Anyway, Michael and Leslie live in Grand Haven, and we got together for lunch and talked about old times. I was also able to meet their daughter Madeline, who is in her junior year at U of M. (I remember Leslie's mother talking about Madeline being born, but I don't think I ever met her) It was wonderful to reconnect with them again. There are so few connections left back from those days when we lived in central New Jersey (we moved to northern NJ when I was in sixth grade)so finding someone who knew me way back then is interesting. Leslie said she would have known me anywhere. We talked about was life in west Michigan compared to life in Jersey, and we unanimously agreed that although we enjoy going back to NJ to visit, we wouldn't want to move back there. It was a thoroughly enjoyable lunch, and I look forward to spending more time with them. Of course, we showed them Frances' pictures, and they politely listened as we talked nonstop about the adoption.

(As for the wedding, we went to the wedding ceremony, but couldn't manage to find the banquet hall where the reception was held, so we eventually gave up and went home. But, even though we couldn't make the reception, it was still an enjoyable day.)

Here are some of the pictures we took when on the pier at Grand Haven, by the lighthouse.


2 comments:

ooie32 said...

you were in my neck of the woods!

btw--congrats on your little girl!

Megan said...

I'm so sorry you guys couldnt find our reception hall =( I should have included directions to the reception in the invites. It was nice to see both of you at the ceremony though :)
Congrats again on your little girl! Hope all goes smoothly!

Megan