Saturday, November 15, 2008

And it happened

It happened without fanfare, in silence. It seems almost anti-climatic. There was no Charpentier playing on the organ, no spectators, no caterers, no DJ, no applause. But just like they did at our wedding--our lives changed forever in a split second. We became a family. I was sitting there in Detroit Airport, and a door opened, and out came Suzanne pushing a luggage cart full of luggage. I stood up and looked at her quizzically, as if to say "where's the baby? " and then Wilda appeared behind her, pushing a stroller carrying Frances, sound asleep. That was it. It happened. They are here. Everything is fine.
Frances with her Grandma Sue, in the international arrivals area at the McNamara Terminal of Detroit Airport, right after they emerged from Immigration.
After about ten minutes of staring at a sleeping baby, I started rubbing her little feet to wake her up. She didn't cry. She looked at Suzanne, and then she let me pick her up. Frances with Poppy and Nay-Nay.

Amazingly, she didn't really mind the car seat. Suzanne sat right next to her, and as soon as the car was moving, she fell sound asleep. We drove to Lansing and met her Grandpa Gary and her Uncles Abe and Tony and Aunt Angela, and we had dinner at Applebees. She let me feed her her first french fries (broken up into small pieces) and then when we got back into the car and drove to Gun Lake, where we are now. She had her bottle, and she wasn't best pleased to have Suzanne change her diaper, but she recovered quickly. She fell asleep downstairs and we put her in her crib in our room. She slept through until about 3am, and woke up, and Suzanne put her between us in bed, and amazingly, she sat their cooing and gurgling and sucking her toes while we were half asleep, and at some point she fell asleep again, between us.

How silently, how silently, the wondrous gift is given.
So God imparts to human hearts the blessings of his Heaven.
I say let the church calendar be damned. I declare it Christmas, now until this ecstatic feeling goes away. We have had three and a half years of living in Advent--of living in anticipation of a blessed arrival. As far as I am concerned, it is Christmas in Pentecost.

5 comments:

RFSJ said...

Dale,

I am just overhwlemed with joy and gratitude and sheer emotion. I'm so happy for you. This has been forever in coming. Words fail me. Congratulations and blessings to you,Dad and to Suzanne and to Frances! What a wonderful wonderful wonderful thing!

Samantha said...

Yeah Baby!!
I am So excited for both of you, to be home and safe and sound with Frances. I cried when I read this blog, you two are going to be amazing parents. Give Suzanne my love (and little Frankie too)
-Samantha (from work)

Alyson & Ford said...

We are so happy for you, just beautiful! Love, love and more love!!

Alyson
Alyzabeth's Mommy

Alyson & Ford said...

Also, love the picture of you and your new baby!!

Alyson

Alice said...

Perfect quotation, and perfect sentiment: Christmas in Pentecost.
Yes! I'm so happy for all three of you. Alice