Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Things are well...

Its been a while, so I guess I'd better post an update on St. Frances of Kent... Things are well. I have taken pictures, but they are on rolls of film that are still in the camera, so when I get them developed, I'll post them.
My drive and productivity is a bit of an issue--I am still waiting for my students' papers to grade themselves... When given the choice between holding a cooing baby and grading essays, the baby wins. The backlog mounts up, the end of the semester approaches, and I am not even shocked at myself for slacking off... Next week is exam week, there is plenty of time to grade the damn things.
Frances is a good eater and a good sleeper. She sleeps 10-11 hours at a stretch at night, so long as she gets a bit of protein in her stomach before bed. She likes whole wheat toast and formula, watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon, she loves black beans and rice, and she likes plain tofu. She'll eat cheese in small amounts, as well as potatoes. She eats guacamole. I had been buying black beans and rice at Qdoba for her, but endeavored to make them myself, and put too much cayenne pepper in them, so Frances would eat a spoonful of my fiery concoction, and then cry for a minute, and then want another spoonful... until her mother realized that the beans and rice were too spicy for her. I made another much blander batch, and she doesn't cry when she eats them. I don't know what possessed me to put cayenne pepper in the beans and rice... it was just me thinking--oh, what should I do to jazz this up for her? Not realizing that babies' taste buds aren't as fried as are those of adults. Oh well... Suzanne enjoys the spicy beans and rice now.
Michigan's winter is in full swing--it snowed all day yesterday. From what I can tell, Grand Rapids got 6". It was enough to close many schools... but, alas, not the ones where I work. The drives to and from Michigan State University were nightmarish and very slow going. Luckily, I ride a van pool, so I didn't have to do the touchy driving. We saw several ditch parties (which, for you California people who don't deal with snow and don't know what a ditch party is--ditch parties are instances where you see several cars in a ditch along the highway, after they slid off the road due to icy patches.) Anyway... we bought a new washer and dryer over the holiday weekend, and they are being delivered today around noon, so that means I need to get out and shovel off the steps for the delivery people from Sears.

2 comments:

Billy and Maggie said...

Brrrrr...that weather is due to head our way soon enough. We dont get it as bad here in New England as you guys do in Michigan but its tough to deal with none the less.

Alyson and Ford said...

Great update! Glad to hear that Frances is a brave eater!

Visit our blog for the cupcake carrier giveaway!
Alyson
Alyzabeth's Mommy