Friday, July 31, 2009

A visit with Poppy

My father--known to Frances as "Poppy"--came to visit the cottage for a few days. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but its interesting for me to see my father, who has always been a force to be reckoned with, acting like a grandfather. It amazes me how enamored with him Frances is. I remember seeing my own grandparents with eyes very different from the ones my mother saw them with, and now I guess that is a continuation of that phenomenon.
Poppy read to Frances from a farm book she's very fond of right now.
And he brought with him a child's rocking chair from 1902, which originally belonged to my grandmother Frances. He used it as a child, I used it as a child, and now Frances will also, undoubtedly get a lot of use out of it. Four generations--I guess my great grandparents would be pleased to know they got their money's worth out of that chair.
He also brought an antique child's sled--I remember my parents attaching our dog to the sled and letting him pull me around... we don't have a dog, but I am sure the sled will be put to use. It can be pushed. And there will certainly be snow. Maybe we'll take her out on the frozen lake this winter.
This is Frances with her father and Grandfather. We took this from the upper deck on the cottage, which looks out over the canal.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: