Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Beautiful Michigan: Holland (under ice)

Grand Haven wasn't enough for me, so then we drove down US 31 to Holland. I get all sentimental about Holland. My grandparents lived there, my mother was born there. I dragged Suzanne and Frances to the state park. They humored me, but then Frances got fussy for some reason, and Suzanne decided to take Frances back to the car. She told me to feel free to go climbing on the icebergs and break my neck if I felt like I had to, just so long as my life insurance was paid and in force, and covered death by stupidity.
St. Peter wasn't the only mortal to walk on water. Here I am walking on Lake Michigan. I only fell three times getting out there. I look very pleased with myself. I made some kid snap this picture.
After I got sick of falling on the frozen lake, I just climbed up on the pier. Look at the colors in the sky as sunset came. I got some lady to snap this sunset picture with the frozen channel in the background. It may seem foolhardy, but after you've been cooped up for a month, you just want go outside and do something, even if its climbing on icebergs. And the sun was shining, and it wasn't terribly cold, so that was my chance. I am grateful to my family for humoring this impulse in me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: